International Day of Women and Girls in Science is celebrated on 11th February every year. In December 2015, in order to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the UN General Assembly declared 11th February as the International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
Why this day is celebrated?
11th February is celebrated as International Day of Women and Girls in Science to recognize the equal access to women and girls of all ages for participation in science, technology and innovations. This day also focuses on achieving gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
Theme for International Day of Women and Girls in Science
The theme for International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021 is “Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth“.
Importance of gender equality
Gender equality is not only necessary to ensure human rights for all, but it is also need for the better society. There are many reasons why gender equality is extremely important.
- It prevent violence against women and girls.
- It helps in improvement of healthcare system.
- It helps businesses.
- For sustainable development.
- It reduces poverty.
- It can bring down human trafficking.
- It helps to maintain peace.
- It benefits economy.
Quotes for Gender equality and International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- A gender-equal society would be one where the word ‘gender’ does not exist: where everyone can be themselves.
- Gender equality is not a woman’s issue. It is a human issue. It affects us all.
- Until we get equality in education, we won’t have an equal society.
- Women’s contributions in the field of science and technology has always been underrepresented. We have to change this.
- “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contribution of half its citizens.” -Michelle Obama
- The harsh truth is that no country in the world have yet achieved gender equality.
- “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” -Malala Yousafzai
- To show zero tolerance to gender inequality, I stand up, confront stereotypes and I loudly say YES to a society that appreciates, respects and promotes human values.
- “Any serious shift towards more sustainable societies has to include gender equality.”
- Today women scientists are playing prime role in the fields of space technology, biotechnology and information technology. This change in the society is happily welcomed.
Other Important Days for Women and Girls
- International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (6 February)
- International Women’s Day (8 March)
- International Widows’ Day (23 June)
- Women’s Equality Day (26 August)
- Wife Appreciation Day (19 September)
- International Day of Girl Child (11 October)
- International Day of Rural Women (15 October)
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (25 November)
- International Women’s Year (1975)
- United Nations Decade for Women: Equality, Development and Peace (1976-1985)