International Data Privacy Day or Data Protection Day is a global event that is observed every year on 28th January. The purpose of celebrating this day is to aware people about the importance of protecting the privacy of their personal information online.
Why Data Privacy Day is celebrated on 28 January?
On 28th January 1981, the Council of Europe opened the ‘Convention for the Protection of Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data’ for the signature to work forward on challenges caused by the development in technologies.
Consequently, in 2007, the Council of Europe initiated this day as the European Data Protection Day. Later in 2009, the United States House of Representatives declared 28th January as National Data Privacy Day.
International Data Privacy Day Theme
The theme for Data Privacy Day 2021 is: “Personal information is like money. Value it. Protect it.”
Why Data Privacy Day is important?
Privacy is something that gives you the power to choose your opinion and feelings and who you share with them. It can let your information private like- real-time location, phone number, telephone conversations and credit card transactions.
Your negligence can let other people collect and store your personal data and they may share it with others without your consent. Privacy is necessary to ensure your freedom and keep your sensitive data private. With the advancement in technologies, it is important to make people aware of how to keep their sensitive data private and this is the reason why Data Privacy Day is important.
Quotes and Awareness Messages for Data Privacy
- Without privacy, there was no point in being an individual.
- In a world where everyone is over-exposed, the coolest thing you can do is maintain your mystery.
- Privacy is power. What people don’t know, they can’t ruin.
- Privacy is an inherent human right and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect.
- I don’t like to share my personal life. It wouldn’t be personal if I shared it.
- You don’t have to post it to prove it.
- PR1V4CY M4TT3R5. PR1V4CY 15 WH47 4LL0W5 U5 70 D3T3RM1N3 WH0 W3 4R3 4ND WH0 W3 W4N7 70 B3.
- Just because you don’t share it on social media, doesn’t mean you’re not up to big things. Live it and stay low key. Privacy is everything.
- Everyone has a chapter they don’t read aloud. Respect people’s privacy.
- Keep everything special to you private, it’s not everyone’s business.
- I don’t know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public. They forget that invisibility is a superpower.
- I’ve been careful to keep my life separate because it’s important to me to have privacy and for my life not to be a marketing device for a movie or a TV show. I’m worth more than that.
How to protect your privacy on the Internet?
Keeping your personal information secure over the internet is a good practice. While using the internet, you may unknowingly leave a trail of your personal information like phone number, IP address and your location. These are few tips to protect your privacy on Internet-
- Deactivate the accounts you don’t need and avoid opening new accounts unless absolutely important.
- Go through your privacy settings to limit who can see your personal information on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Try to share as few personal details as possible on the Internet.
- Don’t fall for any clickbait. Avoid opening any link shared by the unknown or erroneous person.
- Avoid sharing your location with the photos you post on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
- Make sure to use a unique and strong password. Use a combination of numbers, words, upper and lowercase letters and special characters while creating a password.
- To keep your messaging and calls secure, use a VPN. It keeps your communication encrypted and secure.
- Use an updated browser to use the internet and always Log off to your accounts when used.
- Keep an eye on your email regularly to check suspicious login attempts.
Internet is a great way to acquire knowledge, do the shopping and connect with friends and family, but the things you share with the world may breach your privacy. So think before you share.